Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Life in a Swing State

'Twas two weeks before the election and all through the state
Non-stop robo calls and door knockers since the final debate.

I, in my car, driving home with my kid
Was listening to him recount all of the things that he did.

When what did I spy sprawled out on a lawn?
But a Christmas light display praising Candidate John.

"Are you kidding?" I yelled as I stomped on the brakes. Was this lawn only proof that this race is high stakes?

...okay...enough of that (at least for now).

Thought others might enjoy images from life in a swing state. Believe it or not, there's even more to the lawn display than the little camera on my cell phone could capture.

I've been searching for the words to accurately reflect the range of emotions/reactions I felt when I happened up on this little "display" last night on our way home from swimming lessons. Twenty-four hours later, I'm still at a loss for words.

I'm somewhere between disbelief and annoyance to LMAO and absolute joy. For years, voting and interest in public affairs among most folks has hovered at embarrassing levels. At least this time, I must admit that I love that average people (even the ones crazy enough to bust out the holiday lights about two months too early) care enough to have an opinion and take the time to express it (even when I disagree or secretly hope they stay at home on November 4th).

Right now, we're sort of collectively obsessed with Sarah Palin, Tina Fey, Johnny Mac, Bradley and his effect, and of course, a skinny kid with a funny name. For a society that is usually talking about Brangelina and baby bumps, Lindsay, Brittany, or INSERT NAME HERE of the latest celebrity train wreck waiting to happen, I appreciate this brief window of time when the nation turns its attention to the civic life of our shared community.

14 days and counting!

No comments: